Monday, June 15, 2009

It stands to reason...

that the next entry in the blog should be ...To the Pools of Bethesda. But, alas, I was stirred even haunted by a quote from C.S. Lewis in a book I am reading and felt the overwhelming need to share. As it expresses my humble situation much like the Pooh quote I shared earlier. Did I just compare C.S. Lewis to Pooh? Is that allowed? Which one of them, do you suppose, would be more offended by such a comparison? On to the topic at hand.

From J.I. Packer's Knowing God:

"I do not ask my readers to suppose that I know very well what I am talking about. 'Those like myself,' wrote C.S. Lewis, 'whose imagination far exceeds their obedience are subject to a just penalty; we easily imagine conditions far higher than any we have really reached. If we describe what we have imagined we may make others, and make ourselves, believe that we have really been there' - and so fool both them and ourselves. All readers and writers of devotional literature do well to weigh C.S. Lewis' words. Yet 'it is written: I believed, therefore I have spoken.' With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak" (2 Cor. 4:13).

No comments: