Thursday, July 9, 2009

A few quotes before bed...

From The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses by C.S. Lewis:

"If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered to us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

From Pleasures Evermore by Sam Storm:

"The goal or purpose of the Christian is precisely the pursuit of happiness - in God. The reason for this is that there is no greater way to glorify God than to find in Him the happiness that my soul so desperately craves" (p.33).

"God is most glorified in us when we are most happy and delighted and satisfied in Him. And it is this happiness in Him that alone will, at the end of the day, win our hearts for holiness and wean us from sin. Pleasure in God is the power for purity" (p. 29).

From Trading Sorrows by Darrell Evans

I'm trading my sorrow
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

Chorus:
And we say yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord Amen

I'm pressed but not crushed persecuted not abandoned
Struck down but not destroyed
I'm blessed beyond the curse for his promise will endure
And his joy's gonna be my strength

Though the sorrow may last for the night
His joy comes with the morning

And I would add:
I'm trading my list of rules,
I'm trading my efforts against sin,
I laying them down for delight in the Lord

I'm trading my self-righteousness,
I'm trading my religiosity,
I'm laying it down for delight in the Lord

No comments: