Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Perspective

I am going to share a real life story with ya, but let me apologize in advance. Because it is either one of those "you had to be there" stories or one that is fully appreciated when it is told in person, or both. Anywho, let's give it a shot and hopefully this not-so-spiritual example will turn out to be just the tool I needed to make my deep, spiritual point in the end (this could be a train wreck). Because, as Rob Bell says, "Everything is spiritual."

Not so long ago, the family was driving north on I-35 from Norman into Moore. It had been awhile since I had taken that route, but not so long that I was not abreast of any major changes. As I was gazing at my dear husband (no worries, he was driving - not me), suddenly I saw a neighborhood just west of the highway that in all my many travels I had never noticed before. My first thought was, "Hey, where did that come from?" This new discovery prompted me to investigate my surroundings more thoroughly upon which I realized that I no longer recognized where I was.

The logical part of my brain reminded me that we were heading north on I-35 between Norman and Moore, the more powerful, not-so-logical side was beginning to panic. Against my better judgment, I decided to share my concern with the long-suffering driver of the vehicle. Only to be greeted with an even more disturbing reality. He lovingly pointed out my window to show me that "our highway," the one we would normally be driving on was just a mere 100 ft to our right, or east.

You see, the new stimulus package had created yet another road construction project in OK so that this particular section of the north bound highway was closed and the traffic diverted to one lane of what would normally be part of the south bound traffic. I had an eery, out-of-body type feeling watching the road we should be traveling on passing by without us on it. Boy, did we have a good laugh over that paranoid episode. So much so, I arrived at our destination looking like a raccoon.

But I digress. I can hear you begging, "Point, please, Misty. Get to the point."

Change in perspective. 100 ft. That is all it took to completely discombobulate (go, Cha Cha, go) me. I was totally lost. EVERYTHING looked different to me, even when we reached sections of the road where there were major businesses that I did recognize. Familiar, yet different. 100 ft. rocked my little world.

Somehow, I think that is what Paul is talking about in his "rubbish" passage in Philippians 3:7-11.

"But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them rubbish in order that I might gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection of the dead."

Admittedly, Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus was a much more drastic change in perspective than a mere 100 ft. But the principle applies: a change in perspective caused EVERYTHING to look different to him. What he once prized, now disgusts him. Why? Because when our focus is Christ, knowing Him, being found in Him - all else just fades away.

Paul made a list (man, I love that guy) of the things he boasted in prior to his change in perspective.

From Pleasures Evermore by Sam Storm:
1. He was circumcised the eighth day.
2. He was of the nation of Israel.
3. He was of the tribe of Benjamin.
4. He was a Hebrew of Hebrews.
5. He was, as to the Law, a Pharisee.
6. He was, as to zeal, a persecutor of the church.
7. He was, as to righteousness, blameless.

"Perhaps it would be wise for each of us to pause at this point and draw up on own list. So let me ask you: What are the seven things in this world, in your life, that compete with the most intensity to win your heart away from Jesus? If you were of a mind to boast in earthly achievements and accolades, what would they be?"(p. 116).

I am going to share my list, and then I would love for each of you to share your list in the comments section if you feel prompted to do so. Or, you could share a personal perspective change experience. Not just the initial conversion experience, but maybe a gut-check along the way that brought you back into proper focus of The King. That is basically what this blog has been for me. A chronicle of the Master planned and orchestrated change in perspective of one, Misty Garrison, humbled wife and mother who is finally learning what it means to fall in love with Christ.

My list, in no particular order:
1. My Christian heritage and upbringing
2. My personal sacrifices made for the kingdom
3. My self-righteousness - or human attempts at "being a Christian" and doing what Christians do and not doing what Christians don't do (whatever that means)
4. My "knowledge" and "study" of spiritual thingys
5. My station in life (as if I have anything to do with that)
6. My faithful "church" attendance and service
7. My ability to "earn more points" than the next guy

Your turn.

1 comment:

EGG's Dad said...

My list (no particular order as well):

1. My right to be "right". (Self-righteousness)
2. My quick temper flaring against those who do not play by my set of rules (driving, spreadsheet arrangement, etc.). (Wrath)
3. My college degree. (Pride)
4. My ability to answer any question stated, or think that I should be able to. (Knowledge)
5. Always being able to find something to complain about, usually work.
6. Last but not least, I'm not a morning person.

Let me explain #6. When I run, I find peace (through the laboring breaths). I see God's handiwork, even moreso because I move at such a slow lumbering pace I can take more of it in. Perspective is one part of the equation, speed is the other. What if you cruised down I-35 at 5.8mph? I'll never forget running with my co-worker Paul in his attempt at a 100 mile race and just meandering along route 66 enjoying the company, the countryside and the fact that everybody, and I mean everybody, that passed us or that we passed was an ENCOURAGEMENT! Looking good! Keep it up! Almost there (even though he was only 35 miles into the race)! The support of the "crew" and those of us who ran beside him as "pacers" to help him through the dark times (literally through the night...).

It really touched me that this is the same as the race we run every day, we need encouragment, we need those to help "pace" us, and to run with us when times get really really dark. To give us a place to rest and refresh ourselves.

Misty, this is a place for us to rest, to gain encouragement and "perspective", I hope you don't give it up. You are so very talented at it.

Thank you for doing this for us.

Your baby's daddy, Huck