Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I read a lot

You know, anything that I can get my hands on to try to figure out what it means to be a Christ follower. What it looks, feels, tastes like, etc. Not to mention the fact that I have a little one now that I am responsible for living out my faith that she might also understand the person of Christ and how we funtion as members of His Body. With that in mind, many of my posts will be thoughts on what I have read recently regarding either parenting, prayer, missions, ekklesia, or some other topic that God places on my heart. Today is no exception.

First a question and a couple of verses then a quote from Ted Kimmel's Grace Based Parenting and a short thought, and I will leave it at that.

Are we too busy "going to church" to actually be the church?

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully adminstering God's grace in its various forms." (1 Peter 4:8-10)

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, (not sure he is referring to Sunday morning worship as we know it) as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Hebrews 10:24-25, commentary mine)

"As author Reuben Welch said, 'I discovered that as I began to love people and care for people and become more involved with people, I had more joy, more life, more tears, more laughter, more meaning, and far greater fun than I ever had before." (p 79)

Sometimes I think that we miss "it" and Him when we spend so much time "attending" Bible studies, church services, etc. that we forget to engage in an intimate relationship with Him and each other and actually live this life together outside those hallowed walls.

No comments: